Radio Program Director (PD) Major Market
Programming| West Coast
A locally owned, dynamic, heritage radio station in a major market is in search of their next Program Director.
The ideal PD will have Urban format experience and currently work in a large or medium market, creating and cultivating a successful brand. They must demonstrate strategic programming experience, digital experience, and have a full understanding of what it takes to compete and generate revenue while keeping a strong commitment of providing local compelling content.
The PD is responsible for music selection, the on-air sound, and the content online and across all platforms. The PD is expected to make the stations look and sound great, grow audiences, assist sales in hitting their targets, both broadcast and digital audience goals as set forth by the company.
This station is part of a multimedia company sharing the best R & B music, oldies and currents, while introducing new artists and music. The brand remains on top of current topics that impact the community of listeners in their award-winning talk show as well as offering the best in contemporary Gospel and Christian music across all of platforms. Whether it’s through mobile, desktop, tablet, Alexa, Google Home or in the car, this brand is a premier source for the diverse artistic taste of the African American consumer. The company hires and retains top talent who are unique, innovative and vibrant. They believe in creating progressive products, world-class events, and building strong relationships in the community.
Responsibilities of this position may include the following:
- Working with Sales, Marketing and Promotions to create and program brand-appropriate content to drive digital audience and listener engagement.
- Working with on-air talent and related staff to expand their show digitally and socially.
- Finding innovative ways to use our digital properties to grow terrestrial ratings.
- Analysis of digital metrics and diagnostics to shape strategy.
- Strategize the most effective use of on-air inventory to grow digital audience.
- Working closely with Integrated Sales to find on-brand ways to monetize our digital audiences.
- Developing and execution of social media strategy.
- Working with sales to implement sales packages and oversee digital elements across our brands and be able to quantify displays on our sites.
- Review and approve all commercial and paid programming content.
- Build and maintain successful relationships with record labels, producers, artist managers, composers, and other industry contacts.
- Schedule station music to ensure music remains consistent with station’s brand
- Direct and monitor station programming and activities in conformance with FCC rules and regulations, company policy and applicable federal, state and local laws
- An abundance of Creativity
- Innate leadership skills
- Excellent Coaching skills to train, develop, and inspire your staff to achieve their greatest potential
Requirements of this position include:
- A minimum of 10+ years programming experience in radio’s top 50 markets, preferably with Urban AC, AC, or Hip-Hop formats.
- Experience working within RCS G Selector Music Scheduling and Zetta Radio Automation Software system.
- Must be an idea factory, always coming up with new ways to keep content fresh.
- Strong knowledge of urban culture, R & B music and current events.
- Must be highly organized with very strong communication skills.
- The ability to work quickly and shift gears on a dime to capitalize on web traffic and tune in opportunities.
- The ability to work night and weekend hours to cover breaking news and station events to capitalize on web traffic opportunities.
- The ability to utilize both problem solving and creative thinking skills to determine solutions for sales initiative within programmatic strategy.
- Must be a self-starter who excels at working independently, with a proven track record of independent judgment and decision making.
- Strong background and fluency in social networking and online marketing a must.
- Willing to multi-task and work beyond the job description, including off hours when applicable.
- Knowledge of FCC rules and regulations.
Please send all communication to Kate@mediastaffingnetwork.com. All inquiries will be confidential and exploratory to start the process. If you are a current Urban format PD, or APD, at the top of your game and ready to drive a premier brand, reach out to hear more!
We’d love to hear a sample of your work! If you would like to send a demo, include the link to your website in your cover letter. If you do not have a website, upload your demo in YouTube and provide the link.